Search This Blog


Get updates on Email:

AddThis Feed Button
AddThis Social Bookmark Button



usmlebuddies



Are yon Orkut ? Join My Residency Community for Updates
Click here to join Tips4Match
Click to join Tips4Match


This Blog is now a part of USMLEtoMD.com

DEAN'S LETTER FORMAT ....



Update: Dean's Letter is Now considered outdated for the NRMP Residency Match . ERAS now requires the MSPE (Medical Student Performance Evaluation) instead. However ERAS will still accept the Dean's Letter in place of MSPE for those unable to secure an MSPE for the 2007 Match. Read more about that Here.

I must have been lucky that my medical college provided a Dean's Letter without the hassle of giving them a sample format. Since, on the USMLE forums, I see many people asking about a sample format, I am typing up mine in this post as a reference



" This is to certify that Dr. Digitaldoc joined this college during the academic year XXXX - XXXX and passed the First, Second and Final MBBS examinations at the University of _________ held in November 2000, April 2002 and October 2003 respectively all at First Attempt through this college.

He thereafter satisfactorily completed the compulsory rotating internship (One Year Program) as a resident intern from 11/01/2004 to 10/01/2005 ans qualified himself for the award of MBBS degree of the University of _______.

During the period he was at these institutions, his work and conduct were good.

I recommend him for any suitable job requiring medical knowledge and expertise within the scope of his medical degree.


Sincerely,

Dr. ____________ ________
Dean & Professor & Head
Dept. of ____________
ABCD Medical College
Country : "

And - like other documents, plan to have this ready for 1st September applications ! - which means you should have mailed this to ERAS by mid-August.

Q. Where Do i Get the Dean's Letter from ?

A. From the student Affairs Office of your Medical College !



Also Read:

- MSPE versus Dean's Letter and MSPE Format





Google/Yahoo/Msn Keywords to this Post:

"Sample Dean's Letter"
"Dean's Letter"+" 2006"+"Medical"+"Sample"
"Sample Dean's Letter - Residency Match"

Labels: ,



Questions for me ? Use my USMLE - Residency Forum

Comments on "DEAN'S LETTER FORMAT ...."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 29, 2006 11:54 PM) : 

dear digital doc,
in my earlier part of my medical career, when i was very immature, i had indulged into some activities for which i will repent life long... ragging. Though the incidence was very minor, a disciplinary action was taken against me by the college authority.... it read "suspended for mentally harassing batchmates by not allowing them to enter library"
after that i had made a good rapport with everyone.... proffessors etc. but they are not willing to avoid writing anyone about the incidense.....ie i dont think iwill be getting a clean dean's letter. also they will be including it in the verification of educational credentials...
WITH 84 / 92 IN STEPS WHERE DO I STAND? WHAT BEST CAN I DO?
THANK YOU VVVVVVVVMUCH

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (April 29, 2006 11:58 PM) : 

Are you completely sure that it will be included on the Dean's Letter. If possible try to find out what exactly will the words say on the Dean's Letter - then we cud try to find a way out thru the Statement of Purpose...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 01, 2006 7:44 PM) : 

hello digidoc.
it is me again.... the dean has now cooled down a bit an d is now ready to avoid that in the deans letter. But he says he cannot avoid that in the varification of eductional credentials as it is not a personal opinion. Can you tell me how much impact does the credentials carying this stain will have on me... He has even agreed to give me a "post suspension good behaviour certificate" .Will that help?...
It seems to me now that i wont be able to do anything more as the dean asked me to never show my face for the same reason....:-(

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (June 09, 2006 7:33 PM) : 

WIll it be possible for ur Dean to disclose the contest of the verification document from ECFMG ?

 

Anonymous chirkut said ... (June 13, 2006 7:52 PM) : 

Hi digidoc,
i m postgraduate from the same medical college from where i passed my MBBS.
should i ask my dean to mention about my postings in dean's letter?
thanks for ur kind assistance

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (June 13, 2006 11:41 PM) : 

Sure...won't do harm :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 22, 2006 10:53 AM) : 

Hello Digidoc,

There is no dean in our college and my principal is giving us the same letter. Do you think it is Ok and does it work?

2. I cleared all Medical exams in first attempt, but all in second class. I was thinking of getting an MSPE also, but the graphical representation wont be that good enough, what will I do?

3. I got a observeship position under Cardiologist(fellow) in a hospital. Is it good?

Any help will be appreciated and I am looking forward to hear from you.

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (June 22, 2006 12:04 PM) : 

Hi..Dean or No-Dean , a letter representative of Dean;s letter should work, since the principal has the authority in a Dean's post absence.

About your MSPE - the score reports will show the grades anyways, so I dont think it will shed bad light. MSPE will carry evaluation of you as a person , not just grades :-)

Observership in Cardiology - excellent - will help IM residencies for sure ..and in the Interviews tell them you are interested in Cardio...I mean , saying that you are interested in Nephrology after IM, after doing an observership in Cardio - might humor some PDs ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 22, 2006 7:23 PM) : 

Thanks so much, digidoc.

I am also doing observership in peadiatrics and also will start in Neprology this monday(white guy)and the other two are Indians, Cardiologist and peadiatrics.

My step 1 score is 80 and I gave my CS, it was good. Will give CK in augest end. What are my chances in getting into IM and FP, not interested in Paediatrics. Need H1 visa, so will take step 3 in November according to my plan.
Give give your sincere advice.

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (June 22, 2006 8:23 PM) : 

That sounds like a good plan for IM and FP. While, no guarantees can be made - what we can do is to maximize chances, which would mean applying to many places ! ur observership rotations are sure to catch some eyes while applications are screened. Make sure you take ur Step 2 CK fast .. Another Tip for You - Since I assume you will be Applying BEFORE your step 2 CK results are out, when you do get your score - shoot personal emails to PDs of ALL programs you apply, informing them about the scores. This will prompt atleast some of them to RELOOK at your application and increase ur chances :-)

g/l

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 23, 2006 7:31 AM) : 

Thanks dear, so much. I know 80 is a very bad score in this competative world and I also need visa and I wish and pray god to get atleast a decent score in CK. Yes, I am applying to all community colleges and even for J1 visa sponsors. I desperately want to get into residency next year. You are very great, you motivate people and give strong suggestions.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 26, 2006 12:05 AM) : 

Hi I need some advice
I got 88 in step 1 , passed CS and will give step 2 ck in 1st week on august which means i will get my result and ecfmg certificate around 4-5 sept . Can i apply on 6 or 7 sept or i need to apply on 1st sept. Also i dont have an observership till now looking for it though but have some research experience in US.
thanks

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (June 26, 2006 12:37 AM) : 

In ur case, I would recommend applying when u have both step 1 and step 2 scores in hand :-) - since u wont be too far from 1st sept.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 26, 2006 9:49 PM) : 

thanks a lot for ur advice ..
and THNX also for ur great cs site helped me a lot.
thanks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 10, 2006 10:29 AM) : 

hi digi doc
i gave my step1 in april end nd got 99,,my step2 is schedulrd for septbegining nd cs for mid oct
i want to do paeds wich i hear is not that sought after anyways..
do u think it makes sense for me with this kind of time schedule to try nd apply for 2007 match?do i stand a chance?
please advice...am getting stess ulcers chewing on this 1
thanku tonnes

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (July 10, 2006 11:15 AM) : 

Yes Doctor Peds :-) Take your chances...that stand decent ..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 15, 2006 9:41 AM) : 

Dear Friend,
I am a graduate from India, and have been a consistent follower of your posts, here, on usmle.net and on ur own webpage; usmletomd.com. thanx for being a considerate soul, i appreciate your efforts to help others.

i am in a fix right now, and want your advice. my situation is such that i have given step1 (99) and step 2 CS(passed). I have also done a few externships in surgery in US and have got atleast one strong LOR from a US doc. currently studying for my step 2 ck exam and this is where i need ur advice. I can give theexam by late aug or early sept. in such an event what do u suggest i send my applications in early sept with my step 1 and step 2 cs scores alone while i await my step 2 ck scores or do i wait until i get scored for step 2 ck and get my ecfmg cert. and then apply which wud probably be by last week of sept or first week of oct.
second thing i wanted to ask is that, having done exterships in surgery do i hold any benefit while applying for medicine residency spots? lately, i have decided to give medicine a shot, though wud be applying to surgery programs too, but i m not sure if i shud disclose my US clinical experience to medicine programs as i fear this might work against me.
pls advice,
thank you

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (July 16, 2006 3:07 AM) : 

Hi..thankx for writing to me. First thing that you need to know that there is only one application on ERAS that will be seen by ALL programs no matter what specialty you apply to..which means, you cannot "hide" observerships from some programs...

Secondly..Surgery Experience is still US Clinical Experience...what you can write different for medicine is the personal statement..let it reflect how, during ur surgery observership, the medical management really attracted you !

You have a great Step 1 score..and am sure u will do well on step 2 too..take ur chances with IM ...g/l :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 20, 2006 10:16 PM) : 

HI DIGITAL DOC
I'M CONFUSED And i need ur help urgently.
In match-2007 do we have to submit MSPE instead of dean's letter accordingto the announcement on ECFMG-ERAS WEBSITE ON JULY 12,2006.
AND I'M NOT SURE THAT COLLEGES BACK HOME IN INDIA WILL GIVE US THAT 10- PAGE LONG MSPE WITH GRAPHS.
WHAT TO DO ?
PLZ ANSWER ASAP
RIA

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (July 21, 2006 2:12 AM) : 

HI...do check out the post on MSPE v/s DEAN's Letter - will answer ur Query !

g/l

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 23, 2006 11:10 AM) : 

hi,

thanks for maintaining such an wonderful and informative site and more importantly keepng it updated.

I need a help from u in a way that can u pls send me ur deans letter and then reco letters as a model o which i can base mine too. we dont have a format in our medical college. Pls send it to my email ID hariprasad63@gmail.com

I also need to know if there is any format available for the MPSE. Pls its there then pls can u upload it in ue site so that it can be useful to everyone.

thank u once again

with regards
hari

 

Blogger abrar said ... (July 30, 2006 3:19 AM) : 

hi,
i wish to apply for a res match in 2008.so do u think i should apply for a deans letter now,since i am still doing my internship.....!
i think im from the same coll as u wer,and they dont giv us a letter of recommendation before the comletion of internship!
also will the deans letter still be in use by 2008?

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (July 30, 2006 6:12 AM) : 

Hi abrar - I would highly recommend getting the MSPE format done instead - coz by 2008 I think most programs will want the MSPE instead of Dean's letter - even if ERAS may accept Dean's letter for the sake of application... :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 17, 2006 1:30 PM) : 

hi Digitaldoc. It's incredibly helpful blog. So it's my turn to ask for advice.I was going to start all this business with residency as soon as I got a token. But now I'm confused. What if I won't be able to obtain dean's letter? At least this year. With my school you are lucky if you've got anything from them in 6 months. Is there any way that I can do w/o it?

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (August 21, 2006 5:16 PM) : 

you got any friends , contacts back in your home coutry ? arrange for someone to stay on their case - works !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 25, 2006 3:32 PM) : 

I am an IMG from India.
Regarding the Deans letter,I did my internship in a college diff from the one i studied at.So Which Deans letter should i get?From my medical college or the place where i did my internship at?

Secondly,Wat about the required rcomendation letter from the faculty..(same issue as the first)Where should i get it form???

In my course completion certificate ,one that is issued from the college aftr completion of internship ,does not have any mention of me having done my internship in a diff college. Will i have a problem becoz of this?

Pls help me tackle this situation...

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (November 25, 2006 5:55 PM) : 

Hi :

1. Dean's Letter must come from your medical school designated dean, regardless of where you did your internship rotations.
2. Recommendation letters can come from anyone who you worked with in your professional or medical student capacity, does not have to be from medical school. In fact, many prefer US MD LORs
3. wont be a problem - though u did an internship eslewhere, it will still be considered education offered via your own college since they have their tie-ups with the hosting internship organization.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 13, 2007 9:00 PM) : 

hi digidoc.,
I came to see this site jus two days back,it's so informative,keep it up.
I'm an IMG from chennai finished MBBS in 2006 march,I got my step 1 score 88(218),wot's next step should i do?i'm planning for 2008 match.don't have USCE.booked for ck & cs,didn't get permit.
2)and i got dean's letter as soon as i finished internship,which i think is outdated now.dean is my favourite anat professor,so if u send me MSPE complete format,i can get from him as long he's dean in my college.pls send it to my id vlrprincess@yahoo.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (March 16, 2007 12:28 AM) : 

hi digidoc
if im applying for match 2009 its certain iv to get the MSPE...i hadnt taken the 1st prof exams during my first year in med school...i guess ill have to mention that in the form
will this count aginst me?

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (March 17, 2007 1:00 PM) : 

Answer 1: Take your Step 2 CK next as soon as possible without compromising your scores. Scores should be in hand before you apply on the first of September 2007. You may still use that Dean's letter, but if you can procure an MSPE, thats great. The link to the MSPE format is present on this blog article itself - check it out.

Answer 2: Dont have to mention that on the form. If the Dean puts that on your Dean's letter / MSPE or if it shows up on your transcript, only then it will be visible. I dont think it will matter a great lot if you have great scores and other credentials to go with

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 03, 2007 12:13 AM) : 

hi,i am a mbbs graduate and passed out 2 yrs ago..
do i have to take the MSPE/dean's letter?....
pls advice....

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (April 03, 2007 12:35 AM) : 

Yes u do :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 09, 2007 1:26 PM) : 

hi..i m an mbbs graduate from india.if i cannot get either a dean's letter or mspe if my medical school doesnt provide those to me,how does it affect my application...?is it a must to have one of these...?my medical school dean said to use the bonafide certificate in place of deans letter saying they r just the same...is it ok to use that...?

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (April 09, 2007 2:03 PM) : 

If the bonafide is signed by the Dean, that should work too - but a deans letter is expected to give an assessment of your overall abilities, which a bonfide certificate maynot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 24, 2007 4:05 PM) : 

Hi,
I read all your answers for the queries and they are very useful and encouraging. I have a doubt about my deans letter. i did apply for 2007 match and was not successful. my deans letter is dated 30.06.2006. can i still use the same letter for 2008 match or do i need to get anew one with a recent date?

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (May 24, 2007 4:17 PM) : 

Yes - you can still use it :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 05, 2007 11:18 AM) : 

Dear Digitaldoc,
thank you very much for helping me and other people with this TERRIFIC blog!!! It is incredible!!!
I have checked with my Medical School regarding MSPE, and they said that The International Affairs Dept is the only body to sign under the foreign-language written documents on behalf of the school/dean. Will it be accepted by ERAS?
Thank you very much in advance!!!
-Mamay-

 

Blogger Digitaldoc, MD said ... (June 05, 2007 1:43 PM) : 

Yes - they should, but for your own sake, do email/call ECFMG about it. Also, any non-english documents should be accompanied by an english translation - Read About it Here on ECFMG Site

 

post a comment





A blog to help with the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS)


Users Online [ Stats ]